The Discovery Bar is the most visible, and public facing, part of the new Cabot. It includes two projectors and large screens - one without audio visible from the main ramp into the Science Center from the plaza, and one with audio for presentations at the Discovery Bar. Both projectors allow input from several sources (the resident computer or personal devices). In addition to the projection screens, this space’s main feature is a flexible serpentine table which can be used for a variety of technology demonstrations and/or displays.
Recommended use case scenarios:
- Present about a library, research, or technology project.
- Utilize the Discovery Bar table as a display area for analog or digital projects either separately or together with a public presentation.
Location: Main level of the Cabot Science Library, located in the Science Center just north of Harvard Yard.
Discovery Bar Furniture: A winding counter-height table approximately 15’ long with built-in holes to run cables and secure laptops and other displays.
Discovery Bar Accessibility: One movable black table designed for wheelchair use in conjunction with events at the Discovery Bar.
Discovery Bar Equipment:
- 1 resident PC
- 1 Crestron control panel (2 access codes are needed; see Cabot staff)**
- 1 movable lectern
- 1 Wheelchair-accessible table
- 1 each wall HDMI & VGA connections (you can heck out cables from access services on the lower floor)
- Ability to connect to projection screens via Air Media
- 2 Shure shotgun mics
- 2 lav. mics
- 2 ceiling-mounted projectors
Resident PC Software:
- Adobe Acrobat
- Chrome, Firefox, IE
- Microsoft Suite (word, excel, etc.)
Special configuration: Two movable monitor carts can also be connected to Discovery Bar display via wall connections the back of the main level (before the printer/scan area)***
The Discovery Bar is a great place to present and promote library, technology, and research projects. It is not a quiet presentation space. Presenters should be prepared for a certain amount of noise from patrons entering and exiting the library as well as from the adjacent Clover café.
The Ice Cube
Location: The first floor of Cabot Science Library, to the left of the entrance.
Description: The Ice Cube, aka the Consultation Room is a great location to meet for individual and small-group assistance from a librarian, technical specialist or a representative from our Program Partners. It seats up to four people and has a small curated print collection area (90 linear shelf feet) on its external walls. It may be utilized together with the Discovery Bar.
Ice Cube Furniture:
- 1 round table seats up to 4
- 4 chairs
Ice Cube Equipment: 1 resident iMac (not for patron use; see Cabot staff for login info)
Special configuration: It may be utilized together with the Discovery Bar.
Recommended use case scenarios:
- Drop-in hours (for open access, VR display, how-to session). The Discovery Bar screens can be used to display a related slide, video, etc. drawing the public’s attention to a more hands-on drop-in session in the Ice Cube.
Librarians or technologists may schedule individual and small-group consultations in the Ice Cube. (email: firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule)